View this video first: http://goanimate.com/go/movie/0QKnFxvbK2rM?utm_source=emailshare&uid=0Qs0mnIJYEEo
As you can see from this video, Betty wants to create videos to use in her classes to explain some topics. Why videos? Videos help enhance our understanding of a particular topic, it is a visual tool that helps us visualize concepts better. Using videos to enhance your class’s understanding of a complex topic is helpful, in that it helps students see the concept from a different perspective in a different format. Here are some tips to help you in your own video creation:
- If recording audio through a microphone, place it 4-6 inches away from the mouth, but not directly in front of it, to reduce noise
- To prevent noise from the mic, place a nylon stocking over a hanger and place it between you and the mic, this helps filter out some of the background noise
- Videos should be 3-5 minutes long in general, but may be longer depending on the complexity of material.
- Include ques in your videos to tell the audience directions. If your video is interactive and the audience needs to perform a task, say something like”you can pause the video and come back when you are ready”
- Try not to include captions in a video, don’t make your audience read, listen, and watch – this makes it harder for your audience to follow.
Finally, use videos in providing feedback on student papers. Record a short video explaining how you graded their paper and show them what they need to improve on. This prevents the student from questioning your comments, and cuts down on misunderstandings.
What Tools Do I Need to Create a Video?
There are many different screencasting tools you can use to create videos. Some of the popular ones are Camtasia Studio, Jing, CamStudio, Screencast-O-Matic (works with Mac), Wink. Some of these tools are free, some are not. Choose the best one that works for you.
You will also need to purchase a microphone, some decent ones are around $60-$125. You can also use a headset (USB) that plugs into your computer/laptop USB port. My favorite brand is Logitech, their products are good quality, but you may have to pay a little more. You can buy it from Amazon.com
When recording audio, you can use tools such as Audacity (free) to edit your recordings. Or if you purchase a copy of Camtasia Studio, there is a built-in audio editor. In addition, you can use a web-based tool to edit your audio by visiting: http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator
Do you have any questions? Ask me anything! Comment below!